Monday, June 17, 2013

Sourdough Starter and Water Kefir Soda

Last night I decided to try my hand at making sourdough starter the good old fashioned way. So, I mixed 1/2 cup white four with 1/2 cup tap water (that I boiled for 10 minutes then let cool to get rid of the chlorine) in a glass bowl. This evening I added another 1/2 cut white flour and 1/2 water (prepared the same way as last night). Before I added the water and flour this evening I noticed bubbles in the mixture and a thin layer of clear liquid on top of the mixture. I've read these are good signs. I look forward to trying to make rosemary artisan bread using this starter instead of store bought yeast. I read about water kefir soda on the Mother Earth News web site the other day and decided I want to give it a try. So, I ordered some water kefir grains from Amazon. They haven't arrived yet. I look forward to brewing my first batch of water kefir and seeing how it tastes. I am afraid the water kefir will taste a bit like beer (being that it is fermented). I can't stand the taste of beer. However, I was interested in trying it because I read it is a decent replacement for commercial soda (and I'm definitely addicted to commercial soda).

No comments:

Post a Comment